With A Side of Jess: Weight Loss Update

Monday, November 19, 2012

Weight Loss Update

Ticker accurate as of 11/12/12

It's been a couple of months since my last update and I thought it would be a good idea to do another update since we're going into the holidays. I'm also looking to make this more of a monthly update as well so that I can see what progress (or lack thereof) I've made and share it with you.

In my last update at the end of August, I was down nearly 20 pounds. Today I can say that I'm down around 25 pounds. In the big picture, I'm only down about 5 pounds in about 2 months. However, I've gained and lost and gained and lost. That means that in reality I've lost more than 5 pounds in those 2 months, the scale just doesn't quite reflect that.

I also had a goal of losing about 20 pounds by mid-October. Obviously that didn't happen. As I said, I kept gaining and then losing and gaining and losing. For every 2 steps I went forward I went 1 back. While that's frustrating, in the end I'm still 1 step ahead so I'm ok with that. A loss this week of 2 pounds might mean I'll gain 1 back next week. Again, I'm ok with that because overall I'm still down 1 pound.

I've been toying around with the idea of changing my weigh in to Friday because it seems as though something strange happens on Saturdays and Sundays and magically I can gain 3 pounds in those 2 short days. I tend to weigh myself on Monday and that's what I use as my weight loss/gain for the week. I also weigh myself toward the end of the week to see if I'm making progress in the right direction. Sometimes I can be down 2 or 3 pounds on Friday and magically by Monday I've gained a pound or more.

I don't know what it is but something about the weekend makes me gain weight. I don't even have to have fast food or anything bad at all and I still gain weight. It's actually quite funny because one weekend I ate the better of 3/4 of a pumpkin roll all by myself and still managed to lose 3 pounds come Monday. The following week, however, I gained half of that back. I'm really interested in knowing how long it takes for calories in to turn into pounds gained/lost.

I know that something like 3,500 calories = 1 pound of fat, but how long after you've consumed that extra 3,500 calories do you gain 1 pound? For this purpose I'm not considering that if you eat a pound of something you'll probably gain a pound simply because you've put a pound of food into your body. I'm talking about just the extra calories. If I eat an extra 3,500 calories this weekend, when will it show on the scale? Monday? Next Wednesday? This is all assuming that on all other days my calories are on target, etc and the extra calories were only consumed on Saturday/Sunday.

Does anyone know? Anyone? Bueller?

1 comment: