With A Side of Jess: Holiday Appetizers - Foodie Friday

Friday, November 2, 2012

Holiday Appetizers - Foodie Friday

November and December are some of my most favorite months of the year - mostly because of all the cooking and delicious foods. In my family we have the same foods every year at Thanksgiving and then we have a similar set of foods for Christmas every year. Just thinking about all the deliciousness that's coming is making my mouth water and my stomach growl.

I thought the next few weeks would be a great time to share with you some of my family's favorite recipes, as well as some recipes we may be trying out this year. Here's how the month is looking:
  • November 2 (today): Appetizers
  • November 9: Side Dishes/Salads
  • November 16: Desserts
  • November 23: Leftovers
  • November 30: Beginning of Christmas Cookies
You may notice that the always important "Main Dish" category is missing from the list above. That's because most people have turkey for Thanksgiving and it seems that a lot of people have a standard way they like to cook their birds. Some put them in a bag. Some swear a bag is the worst thing you can cook it in. Others roast it in the oven. Still others roast it in an electric roaster. You get the idea. I'm not going to tell you how to cook your bird, I'm just going to share a bunch of other yummy things that will go great with it.

You can also use these foods for Christmas and other holiday parties and dinners. Many of them work great for either holiday - or both!

And now on with the appetizers!


These Savory Parmesan Bites have been a hit at my house for years. I think I first made them for Christmas one year because the parsley and red pepper made them look very festive - now we enjoy them at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. The one change I make to the recipe is that I use an extra block of cream cheese. My family really loves the extra cream cheese.


Source: food.com via Jessica on Pinterest

While I haven't yet made this Pickle Wrap Dip, I certainly want to this year. I've had the pickle wraps as appetizers at other holiday parties and think this would be a great way to get the same flavors, but probably in a bit easier (and faster) assembly.



Nothing says fall or harvest quite like pumpkin seeds so this would be a great addition to a fall themed appetizer table. The three different ways to make them also offers a great alternative to just plain salted pumpkin seeds.



These bacon pops look delicious! They're small and easy to eat. What's not to love about these? AND they have bacon. Everything's better with bacon, right?



I think these would be a great addition to an appetizer table. They're perfect for grazing and also an unexpected twist that still fits with the holiday season. The smell of cinnamon will also make your house smell amazing and just like the holidays.

And not to be forgotten are the more traditional fruit, cheese and vegetable trays.

What are your favorite holiday appetizers?

No comments:

Post a Comment