With A Side of Jess: How I Spent my 30th Birthday Weekend - Birthday 2012

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

How I Spent my 30th Birthday Weekend - Birthday 2012

I know, I know this is kind of later than I had wanted but other things got in the way.

If you remember, my birthday was October 21 and I was doing 30 random acts of kindness in honor of my 30th birthday that weekend. Below is a list with pictures (when I had them) and a little bit more about exactly what I did. As I'm sure you'll notice when you get to the end of the list, I didn't quite make it to 30. That's ok though! There were still many, many great things done that weekend.

1. Let someone go ahead at the store

2. Gave caramel corn and a card to the neighbor to thank her for being such a good neighbor - She was very appreciative of it!

3. Gave directions to someone who asked

4. Slowed down to let someone cross the street in the rain

5. Avoided a puddle so someone wouldn't get splashed

6. Held the door for multiple people

7. Took my husband homemade tortillas at work


8. Offered my seat to someone waiting at a restaurant - She declined, but I still offered

9. Let someone go first in traffic

10. Gave a cart to someone at Walmart

11. Left pennies heads up to give good luck - I left these in random places while walking from my car to the wedding reception I went to on the 20th. On the way back after the reception several of the pennies were still where I left them, but some of them were gone.

12. Got cake for someone at a wedding reception

13. Mailed a card for a friend telling her how amazing she is as a friend

14. Picked up an application for someone

15. Bought a doughnut for my aunt

16. Left cards on cars - The cards said things like "Have a great day" and other encouraging messages. Most were left on cars at the local hospital that had been there multiple days in a row.


17. Moved a smashed candy bar so someone didn't step on it

18. Left coupons for free McDonald's items on a pop machine - I left a couple on one of the pop machines I left an envelope of change on.

19. Gave coupons for free McDonald's items to kids at church - They were really too little to understand what it was but the parents were quite excited

20. Left money on pop machines - There was $1.25 in quarters in the envelope and it says "Random Act of Kindness - Enjoy a drink on me." One was left on a pop machine near a local walking trail and another on a pop machine at a local park.



21. Stopped to let a squirrel cross the road


This squirrel seriously sat there for about 5 minutes. He didn't flinch at all for a friendly honk. We waited until he finally moved to keep going (we were at a stop sign).

22. Asked someone if they needed help at the store

23. Bought coffee for my mom/a cop

24. Genuinely wished people to have a good day

25. Handed out cards at grocery store

26. Stopped to let a farm truck pass on a country road

27. Made copies for my aunt

28.

29.

30.

As you can see I didn't quite get to 30. While I was initially bummed out a bit, I made my peace with it and it's ok. I still made a difference in the lives of more than 30 people - there were many cards handed out and many people wished a good day even though I counted them as 1 act each. I'm thinking about maybe trying to do something like this every year. I probably won't do 31 next year and 32 the next, but I will probably try to make an effort to help out others on my birthday each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment