With A Side of Jess: How I make my laundry soap

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

How I make my laundry soap

Sometime about a year ago, I stumbled across a pin for this homemade laundry soap. I checked out the recipe and it didn't sound too incredibly hard or even really that complex and I pinned it for "later." As many of us know, "later" on Pinterest means "probably never get to it." This turned out a bit differently though. I actually did make it!

It took a couple of weeks to price and find the materials. I found that everything I needed was cheaper, and available, at Walmart. For less than $10 I was able to purchase everything to make the soap and still have tons of some of it leftover.

Here's what One Good Thing by Jillee's recipe calls for to make 2 gallons:
  • 1 bar Fels Naptha soap
  • 8 c. hot water
  • 1 c. Borax
  • 1 c. Washing soda
  • More hot water to fill bottles
 I think that somewhere along the line I must have also discovered another, similar recipe for laundry soap and did as I often do when I'm cooking: I mentally tweaked the recipe and came up with my own version.

Here's the recipe I use to make 1 gallon:
  • 1/4 bar Fels Naptha soap
  • 2 c. hot water
  • 1/4 c. Borax
  • 1/4 c. Washing soda
  • Hot water to fill rest of bottle

Obviously somewhere along the line I cut the amount of Fels Naptha down farther than the original recipe. It still works amazing for my family's laundry. In the future I may try making it again with the "proper" proportions but we'll see.

Quite honestly though, that's the amazing thing about making your own laundry soaps at home. You can tweak the recipes to suit your family's needs. Maybe your family has particularly stinky dirty laundry. You can add more Washing soda to the mix and see if that helps. You can also add scented detergent boosters to add scent if you'd like also. Personally, we don't add a scent because as my mom always says "Clean doesn't have a scent."

Aside from the tweaks in the actual recipe, I follow all other steps found here.

I've recently started making 4 gallon batches in a 5 gallon bucket and it lasts several months. It only takes me about an hour from start to finish to make the huge 4 gallon batch and I'd rather take the hour to make more than make several small batches as we need them.

I also make our own fabric softener so keep an eye out for a post on that coming soon!

Do you make your own laundry soap? What recipe do you use? Has it saved your family money? Would you be interested in seeing a cost savings update for a period of time - 3 months, 6 months, a year, etc.?

2 comments:

  1. We use the same recipe, but skip the water & just use it as powdered detergent. The longer you use it, the better the results. Our clothes & towels have never felt softer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! We have to use liquid though because powder clogs up our drain for some reason. It's been awesome at getting a lot of dirt and grime out of my husband's clothes and he works in a foundry!

      Delete