With A Side of Jess: Bottle Cap Stamps - Project Pinspiration #5

Monday, February 11, 2013

Bottle Cap Stamps - Project Pinspiration #5


When I saw this pin I just knew I had to try it. Foam stickers are so cheap to find (I think I've even seen them at the Dollar Tree) and many of us have access to various bottle caps - from pop bottles to medicine bottles.

It also seemed like a great way to keep kids entertained. I know I loved playing with stamps and ink when I was younger. Not much has changed either. Now, as an adult and paper crafter, I still enjoy playing with stamps and ink. This could be a great way to add to your stamp collection without breaking the bank. You'll also get some more unique shapes you may not be able to find in "real" stamp form.

As it turned out, I didn't have any foam stickers just laying around so I borroed some from my sister. She apparently had a bag of jungle themed stickers that had shapes like giraffes, suns, grass, elephants and various other jungle animals. Most of the shapes were too big for any of the bottle caps I had available so I just chose the ones that fit the caps I had.

I used my regular crafting ink on these homemade stamps because it's what I had around the house. I really don't think this project needs to break the bank AND I kind of think it might also work with paint if you're so inclined to try.

If you look at the images I stamped and then at the original stickers, you'll see why the monkey is sort of two-toned. Apparently the different texture on his face and belly took the ink differently and thus stamped a bit lighter than the rest of his body. I actually think that kind of looks better than if he had come out all the same.

I used the grass as a crown to make a dancing princess monkey. That's the great thing about some of the vague shapes you find in foam stickers. You can use them to be just about anything you can imagine. The package says it's a grass sticker but you see a crown? Great! Now you've got a 2-fer. A grass stamp AND a crown stamp.

I don't think the stickers turned out any worse for the wear either. Yeah I did get a little ink around the edge of the monkey cap, but his arm was so thin and I couldn't help it. Otherwise, they did great I think. They're obviously not going to be stamps you pass down, especially if little hands are using them, but they'll work great for a while.

Probably one of the best parts is that if/when the sticker falls off, you can either glue it back on or replace it with a different sticker.

These are the inks I used for my stamping. They're just regular inks you could buy at any craft store.

So what do you think? Will you be trying out your very own foam sticker stamps? I'd love to see what you create with yours so feel free to share links to your projects below!

No comments:

Post a Comment