With A Side of Jess: February 2013 Birchbox

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

February 2013 Birchbox

The theme of this month's Birchbox is Red Carpet Ready. It's supposed to be "an assortment of products worth of the red carpet," according to the info card that came with the box. Guess we'll have to see!


TIGI Catwalk Session Series Transforming Dry Shampoo

Full size - $19.95 : Sample - 7.67

I use dry shampoo at least a few times a week. As someone who usually washes her hair every other day, it can be a great fix for slightly greasy second day hair. This could also be a great addition to my overnight bag for work. The downside I'm seeing so far though is that it seems quite heavily scented. I sprayed it on my hand for the purposes of my video and about an hour later it still smells like the dry shampoo. I don't necessarily want my hair to smell like anything other than shampoo and if I did, I would like to choose the scent I spray into it.

Ghirardelli Squares - Milk Chocolate with Caramel

Full size - $4.25 : Sample - $0.42

This girl is almost always happy with some chocolate. I've tried various flavors of Ghirardelli chocolate in the past and have never been disappointed so I'm sure this time will be no different!

Juicy Couture - Couture La La

Full size - $90 : Sample - $1.32

I'm really disappointed in this one - both in the actual sample and the fact that Birchbox is continuing to send perfume samples in every.single.box. I feel like there should be some opt in to perfume samples or something, maybe even an opt out. One or two every now and then wouldn't be too bad but if you look at my box history it seems like I have had more boxes with perfume samples than not. And as for the actual scent, I don't like it. At first sniff it smelled like orange juice that had been made into perfume. Which made perfect sense (no pun intended, scents, sense, get it? haha!) when I read that it had mandarin and orange blossom. I just don't want to walk around smelling like orange juice.

Jouer Matte Moisture Tint

Full size - $38 : Sample - $1.56

This sample is so tiny. Here's a bit to give you some perspective on just how tiny it is. It's just 0.02 floz larger than the perfume sample. How is that supposed to be enough to cover my entire face more than once so I can get a true opinion of the product inside?? And another issue I have with this sample is that it apparently comes in different shades. I was sent the shade Linen, the second darkest shade out of 5 shades. Given the shade selection I probably would have chosen the lightest one for myself. I don't understand why they would send something that is shade specific to such varying demographics. At least let people select their own shade!

Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator

Full size - $34 : Sample - $5.67

At first I was excited to try this sample. In comparison to other samples I've received both in this box and in other boxes, this is pretty big. However, that excitement went away pretty quick when I was filming my Birchbox video and realized (thanks in part to the sun peeking through the window) that the tube is only about 1/2 full! I understand that contents settle and that the sample is based on weight, but then why waste the extra packaging?? I have bought plenty of facial cleansers in similar tubes and have never had a problem with them being half full. Settling or not, I feel like this should have either been in a smaller tube or had more product in it. We shall see how the contents actually work.


Box total: $16.65

 

No comments:

Post a Comment