With A Side of Jess: Vicks Shower Disks - Project Pinspiration #1

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Vicks Shower Disks - Project Pinspiration #1


I was so excited to find this pin, especially because it never fails that I am sick most of the winter. I'm not sure if it's colds, allergies or the flu, but I almost always have at least the sniffles from October to May. I used to buy these things at the store but for whatever reason they aren't available anymore. I don't know - because I haven't taken the time to look it up - if they were discontinued or if they're still out there but in limited areas. I just know that I can't go into my local Walmart and pick them up any more and it's really been years since I was able to.

So I followed the recipe - well I halved the recipe and did a few other edits as I saw fit for my needs - on the site linked in the pin above. I used:

1/2 c. baking soda
About 1/4 c. water
15 drops Eucalyptus essential oil

From the pictures on the blog post I followed, I think the original recipe makes 6 regular muffin sized disks. I decided I wanted to make mini ones so I halved the recipe. My version made 6 mini muffin sized disks. I also made this recipe twice, the first time I baked them at 350* for 20 minutes as it said I could and added the oil to the disks after baking. The second time I left them sit to air dry and the oil was put into the mixture before filling the muffin cups.

Baked

Air dried

I prefer the air dried ones in texture. They are so much less crumbly and brittle. I'm not sure if I did something wrong with the baked ones or what, but they weren't what I was expecting at all. The only thing I might try different next time is making a bit more of the mixture and filling the cups more. However, I one this size lasted me an entire regular shower so the size is really fine.

However, after letting the air dried ones dry for the recommended time, I couldn't really smell the eucalyptus when I used it in the shower. Outside the shower I could smell it though. I would recommend adding a couple of extra drops to the disk itself before placing it in the shower.

So would I recommend that others try this too? Yeah actually I would, but it seems you may have to play around with the recipe a bit to figure out what works for you. Humidity, among other things, could factor in to how these turn out.

Have you tried these? How did they turn out for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment