With A Side of Jess: How to get products to review - Influenster

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How to get products to review - Influenster

Hopefully you caught the first post in this miniseries, but if you didn't don't worry! You can read it here.

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time I'm sure you've noticed that I do reviews of products. What kind of products? Pretty much anything. I don't do it just to get free stuff, though that is a bonus. I do it because I like to share my opinions with others. I give honest feedback about whatever it is I'm reviewing so that others can use that information to decide if it's something they also want to try. Not only do I write reviews about things I enjoy (my favorite reviews to write), but I also write them if I didn't enjoy a product. I think it's important to share my views regardless of what they are.

So just how do I get these things in the first place?

2. Influenster


I've mentioned Influenster before and you've probably noticed first impressions/unboxing posts about VoxBoxes in the past - those came from Influenster. I did a whole little post about when they gave their website a makeover (a much needed one too!) and you can read that here. But you're probably still wondering WHAT Influenster is.

Influenster is free to join, though I think that since the site re-vamp you need an invite to join. Because I don't think I can say it any better than Influenster has described itself, here are a few quotes from their website:

"Basically, Influenster is a place for culture junkies to come together and share their unique opinions of products and experiences. Active members of Influenster get exclusive access to deals, promotions, and swag from brands that thrive off the input (the good, the bad, and the ugly -- they just want to know what's up)" 

You fill out a profile and answer a few surveys then you can earn what they call badges. A badge basically just means you've got some knowledge or experitse/experience about a particular topic. Topics range from living a green lifestyle to interior decorating and beauty. It's important to note that this isn't all just girly frilly stuff. Some of the badges are geared toward males as well. You can also earn badges based on life events - having kids, getting engaged, having pets, etc. These badges, along with the profile information and survey stuff you fill out will help Influenster decide if you're a good candidate for the various VoxBoxes (what they call their goodie boxes) they've got coming.

However, also from the Influenster website:

"If you’re here to mooch, this isn't the place for you. Nobody, no matter how high his or her Influenster Score, is guaranteed rewards. Even if you are offered a reward, you can always opt out. The real benefit of membership is access to exclusive content, product reviews, and discussion within a community of tastemakers. Perks are just the icing on the proverbial cake."

And that is so true. There's leg work to do on your end to receive and continue to receive VoxBoxes. First, you're notified that you may be a good candidate for a particular box they've got coming up and you have to take a pre-survey to even opt in. Then, if you're chosen there's more stuff to do after you receive your box. The whole purpose of a VoxBox is to get products into your hands so you can use them, try them and then share your opinions on various social networking outlets including, but not limited to, blogs, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc. It's important to remember that good or bad, your opinion matters, but you have to share it so people know.

I've been a member since early May and have participated in several programs already. I've received products ranging from chocolate bars to feminine products to ink pens. It really is a mixed bag of things, though generally speaking the boxes do have some sort of theme.

Are you an Influenster member? Have you received any VoxBoxes yet? Feel free to share your Influenster experiences below!

No comments:

Post a Comment