With A Side of Jess: COVERGIRL Blast Flipstick Lipcolor in Vixen Review

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

COVERGIRL Blast Flipstick Lipcolor in Vixen Review


I really don't know where to begin with this one. Maybe I should start at the beginning.

I was so excited when I got notification from BzzAgent that I'd been selected to receive a sample of COVERGIRL's Blast Flipstick Lipcolor. For some reason I have a deep love/hate relationship with lip products. I think they always looks so great in their nice, shiny packages at the store but when I get them home it's like they morph into something I hadn't meant to buy. I think part of my difficulty is that my natural lips are pretty pigmented and so when I try wearing a lip product, be it lipstick or a deeply pigmented gloss, it just looks strange.

Now I bet you're wondering why that makes me happy to try a lip product that I had no say in what color(s) I would receive. Well that's because I wouldn't have a choice. I hoped it may force me outside my comfort zone a bit and at least try a different type of product even if I ended up with a color I would have chosen for myself anyhow. What I wasn't really expecting when I opened the box was to see not one, not even two, but THREE full sized products at my disposal to try!


Before we get into my thoughts on the lipsticks, I'd like to share just a little information about the product itself. These come in 13 complementary shade duos - everything from berry shades to taupe, brown, red and even gold. I think there is probably a shade duo for everyone somewhere in the mix. They retail in the $8 range.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I was younger I used to try mixing lipsticks to get new and exciting shades. It usually didn't work out so well. The lipsticks were hard - literally - and didn't mix or blend well making everything a clumpy, lumpy mess. These, however, are supposed to have a very blendable, moisturizing formula that encourages mixing and won't leave your lips feeling heavy or dry. One end of the tube has a creamy color and the other is more shimmery.

So I received the shade duos Minx, Stunner and Vixen. For this post I will primarily be talking about Vixen as I'm giving Stunner to my sister as part of her Christmas gift - she loves new make up! - and I've put Minx aside to be part of a giveaway I'm working on - so maybe you'll be the one getting to tell me all about that shade duo.

Since I won't have any color swatches to share of Minx and Stunner, I'll just share the pictures I snapped of the tube and the colors through the tops.


Minx has a deep brown on one end and a gold shade on the other. It seems like it could create some interesting looks!


Stunner has a bright pink on one end and gold on the other. Actually, those color descriptions are according to the info booklet I received with the samples. In person, to my eyes at least, I would call the "pink" shade more red. Perhaps it swatches pink, but I won't know that until sometime after Christmas.

So now on to the color I can share a bit more about: Vixen.


Vixen has burgundy on one side and a pearlescent pink on the other. I went through a big phase in high school where I was really into the dark, vampy burgundy lip - though I never actually wore it out of the bathroom - so this duo was right up my alley.

So now on to my thoughts on Vixen.

Darker burgundy end
Pearlescent pink end
As I hope you can tell from the swatches above, the burgundy end is quite bright, though more sheer than I was really expecting. It gives good color to the lips and covers them completely but it's much more sheer in color than I was expecting and really creamier in texture than I was expecting. The lighter, pearlescent pink end is quite sheer as well - more so than the burgundy - but just as creamy and very blendable.

The pictures above show how they look next to each other. The picture on the left shows the colors better, but the picture on the right shows that there's a bit of sheen to both colors. By sheen I don't mean glitter and I don't mean sparkle. It's more of a satin type of sheen to me

These pictures show how the colors look layered. I don't think there would be any benefit to putting the darker color on top of the lighter color, so I'm just showing how the light pink looks on top of the burgundy.

I think that putting the pearlescent pink on top of the burgundy gives it some great depth. It adds a bit more shine since it's lighter and really draws attention to the lips. You can use the lighter color all over - as I did in the swatches - or just as a highlighter color in the center of the lips. It really looks beautiful both ways.

One of the best things about these flipsticks is that it's pretty much like getting BOGO lipsticks. You're paying for one lipstick and getting two colors - two complimentary colors at that.

Have you tried any of the Blast Flipsticks? How have you been wearing them - together or alone? Feel free to share your thoughts/comments below!

Disclaimer: I am a BzzAgent and samples of this product for free

No comments:

Post a Comment