With A Side of Jess: Birchbox October 2012 - First Thoughts/Impressions

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Birchbox October 2012 - First Thoughts/Impressions


There were two types of Birchboxes one could have gotten this month: a regular one with the theme transformation or a special one as part of a collaboration with goop. Before receiving the email asking me to opt in if I wanted a goop box, I hadn't heard of goop. I scoped out their website for a bit before deciding to opt in. A lot of what I was seeing was higher end things and I hoped that translated to Bircbox, either in terms of what the products were or in terms of the size of the samples.

I was sorely disappointed this month. So that I'm not repeating myself in every single item, I'm mostly disappointed with the size of the samples. Out of the 5 samples I received this month, I would say that two were what I would consider a deluxe size sample at all. The other three are itty bitty. 

Jouer Lip Enhancer - Full size $14 for 0.33 fl oz - Sample $2.97 for 0.07 fl oz


This lip enhancer promises "the moisturizing punch of a balm with the satiny finish of a gloss." Honestly though, it doesn't really tell me HOW it will enhance my lips. Will it make them more plump? Less flaky? More kissable? Anything other than shiny? Guess we'll have to wait and see. Maybe this is something I can use before bed since the cooler weather has us turning the heat on already and my lips are usually pretty dry when I wake up.

Added after I checked out the Birchbox description on the website: Apparently it's supposed to "minimize the appearance of fine lines and boost your lips naturally without that annoying tingly sensation found in so many other plumpers."

LUNA Bar - Full size $18.75 for 15 bars - Sample $1.25 for 1 bar

I'm excited to try this Luna bar. It's one of the bars I've seen around the grocery store but haven't yet tried. I've heard mixed reviews and what flavor it is tends to be the key. Some flavors are just not as good as others. We'll have to see about this lemon one.

Supergoop!® City Sunscreen Serum - Full size $42 for 1.6 fl oz - Sample $3.55 for 4 ml (2 ml in each packet)

More sunscreen in the fall? I could really take or leave this sample since if you look back at some of the other boxes (Birchbox, Influenster, etc.) I've gotten in recent months, I already have sunscreen. PLUS, I won a HUGE bottle of sunscreen/moisturizer from a giveaway at the beginning of the summer. That bad boy will last me a long time. Will I use it? Maybe. Since there's 2 packs in the sample I may try one and give one to a friend.

Kiehl's Rosa Arctica Eye Cream - Full size $46 for 0.5 oz - Sample $9.20 for 0.1 oz

I'm so excited about this! I'm really looking for a Holy Grail eye cream/moisturizer for the eye area. Yes, I'm about to be 30 in a few days and my under eyes are wrinkling like an 80-year-old. I need something that will help keep the moisture and possibly plump things up a bit to smooth our a few of the fine lines. I'm not sure this will be the trick though as it is supposed to be a brightening eye balm which should at least help with some of my dark circles.
 
essie® fall picks Nail Polish in lady like - Full size $8 for 1 bottle - This is a full size product


This is my first bottle of essie polish! I'm quickly becoming a nail polish hoarder, though I'm not sure why. I tend to get hooked on a color and wear it for a month straight and then switch to something else. Hopefully this will become one of my favorites and I can get a lot of use out of it. It's a purple/mauve/light dusty rose, which isn't necessarily a color I'd pick out for myself especially right now. I tend to gravitate more toward burgundies and darker colors in the fall. Hopefully this looks great!

Box Total: $24.97

No comments:

Post a Comment