With A Side of Jess: An Angel Mommy's Story - Kay - Pregnancy/Infant Loss Awareness Month

Monday, October 15, 2012

An Angel Mommy's Story - Kay - Pregnancy/Infant Loss Awareness Month

Kay is 27 years old. This is her story in her words.

The only thing I’ve ever wanted was to be called mommy and be surrounded by beautiful children. Sadly, some dreams aren’t so easily achieved.

Jeremy and I met through a mutual friend, who insisted on playing match maker. At the time I was highly motivated by my career as a Special Event Designer for a fabulous resort on the beach in Clearwater, FL. Jeremy was a strikingly handsome single dad and Sergeant in the US Army who lived in a tiny town in Northern Wisconsin. This made me seriously doubt my best friend's match making abilities......I mean seriously, why would I, a big city girl who lives for beach days move to small town, cold, and snowy Wisconsin.

Never the less, I agreed to let her give him my number. We spent every spare second of every day on the phone and a week later I was on a plane to meet both my best friend and this guy who had captured my every thought. After a two week visit I couldn’t imagine life without him and I made the decision to give up my career and move to Wisconsin. A month later we were engaged and two months after that we were married. My life had completely changed, I was now married to the most amazing man I’ve ever known and a stay home mom to my beautiful stepdaughter. We knew right away that we wanted to have children on our own but I wanted to take some time to bond with Lexi before giving her a sibling. Well that process didn’t take long, Lexi and I seemed to bond even faster than her daddy and I had and she was soon begging for a baby brother or sister.

Three months into our marriage we started trying to conceive and a month later we were pregnant!!! I can still remember every detail of that beautiful day. I had been feeling slightly ill for a few mornings, my period was a day late and deep in my heart I just “knew” I was pregnant. I snuck out to buy a test and to my delight two beautiful pink lines appeared. Since I already had the gut feeling, I had also bought Jeremy a card telling him how much I loved him and on the bottom I wrote him a message that said “Congratulations, you’re gonna be a daddy….again!” I crawled into our bed, tears in my eyes, and gave him the card. After shaking off his sleepiness, he wrapped me up in a hug and we just enjoyed our quiet happiness. We immediately told Lexi, called our parents and grandparents and our closest friends.

Since we were “trying” I was already taking prenatal vitamins and called my doctor to schedule our first appointment. My doctor had us come in for a Nurse’s Appointment where they confirmed I was pregnant and estimated I was approximately 4 weeks 5 days (just barely pregnant). We scheduled or next appointment for 8 weeks, where we would have a ultrasound and talk to our doctor. We were so excited and even started picking out baby names. My mom even went out and bought us a crib.
The thought that something might go wrong never even crossed our minds. We were doing everything “right”. A week went by and we were still on cloud nine. I had never felt more blessed, I had the man of my dreams for my husband, a beautiful little girl who called me mama and “wanted to be just like me when she grew up” and a precious little life created in love growing inside of me. Surely fairly tales weren’t even this magical.

A little more than a week after finding out we were pregnant, our fairly tale ended in our worst nightmare. One day I noticed some light red spotting and my heart sank. Jeremy tried to assure me things would be okay but I still wanted to see a doctor. It was a Saturday so we went to the emergency room. My mother in law came over to watch Lexi. I checked into the waiting room and sat there for what felt like forever…..I went into the bathroom every 5-10 minutes to check the spotting which had now turned to bleeding. Finally, a doctor saw me. She gave me a pelvic exam, informed me that she believed we could be experiencing a “threatened miscarriage” but that everything might still be okay. Deep Breaths…..Cling to Jeremy…More Deep Breaths…..Pray. The doctor ordered a vaginal ultrasound, I should be a little over 6 weeks and this should give us a better idea of what was going on. More silent prayers, actually I don’t think I’ve ever prayed so hard for anything. The ultrasound confirmed my worst fear, this pregnancy would end in a miscarriage. There was a defined yolk sac but the baby had not developed past about 5 weeks and a few days. I would never hold my sweet baby in my arms. I would never watch Jeremy rock our little baby to sleep. I would never watch Lexi play with the sibling she so desperately wanted. In those horrid moments, I thought my world would end…..no, in those few moments, my world had ended.

The doctor suggested we go home and let the natural process take place. She told us things to look out for and said we could come back in if we felt we needed too. Honestly, I don’t think I really heard her. I couldn’t hear anything over my own sobs and my brain couldn’t process any more information. Jeremy literally had to carry me out of the hospital. We were devastated. Throughout that day the bleeding got worse and somewhere in the middle of the night I was woken up with the worse cramps I’ve ever had, blood had soaked through my pad and was now on our bed. I was in so much pain. Jeremy once again, carried me, this time to a hot shower. I have no idea how long I was in that shower but I know my body completed that awful process there in our bathroom.

I spent days in bed. Jeremy’s love and strength are all that got us through that time. I was angry, devastated and lost. Jeremy bore the burden of “untelling” everyone. It wasn’t until weeks later that I realized how much this miscarriage affected him too. We’ll never know if our first child was a boy or a girl, never know if he or she would’ve looked like me or Jeremy but we’ll also never forget our angel. Even though time has helped us heal, there will always be a hole in my heart for our first baby, a baby we had for far too short of a time but a baby we loved more than we ever thought possible.

Her advice for others who have experienced miscarriage/pregnancy/infant loss?
 
The one thing I wish I could tell others who have experienced this heartbreak is that “it’s okay to feel however you feel”. There is no “right” way to deal and cope with the loss of a child. And that they don’t have to suffer in silence. I urge women in this horrid time to join a support group with other women who have walked this path. I know for me personally, my real healing didn’t begin until I joined a wonderful group of women who could share my own turmoil of loss. Some of these women have become some of my closest friends and I know it’s the best choice I could have made.

What does she want others who have never experienced miscarriage/pregnancy/infant loss to know?
 
I wish that people who haven’t suffered the loss of a child knew that this shouldn’t be such a taboo subject. It’s okay to not know what to say or do but it’s not okay to not say or do anything. Call to say hi, stop by to let them talk, sit in silence and just offer hugs, love and support if they don’t want to talk. Remember that saying things like “it’s okay, you’re still young and can try again” or “everything happens for a reason” are some of the worst phrases you can say. Acknowledge that they lost a baby……acknowledge that even though they may not have held their baby in their arms, they are still grieving parents. And remember that the sad truth is that, miscarriage and infant loss can happen to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment