With A Side of Jess: An Angel Mommy's Story - Jaki - Pregnancy/Infant Loss Awareness Month

Thursday, October 11, 2012

An Angel Mommy's Story - Jaki - Pregnancy/Infant Loss Awareness Month

Jaki is 34 years old and from Grand Rapids, MI. This is her story in her words.

I began ttc for the third time in January of 2011. My 2nd son just had his first birthday. I was tired chasing him, but eager to add to the family. I didn't do much to try to get pregnant..just put my info in the ovulation calculator on The Bump. To my surprise I found myself to be pregnant just a few cycles in. I was around 5 weeks pregnant when I tested. We were so happy..and Casey (my husband) was sure we were going to add another little boy to the family. My husband and I both had sons we brought into the marriage and then we had one together. I was SURE this was a girl...but my husband convinced me otherwise so we started calling the baby Nathan Jeremy 2 days after we found out. Against my better judgement I posted a pregnancy announcement to Facebook...I was just so excited..but the second I did..I felt weird. As in had leery feeling..and regret for posting.

Things went along normally as they usually did in early pregnancy. Around 7 weeks I felt off. My heartburn had gone..my nausea was gone..I felt like I was going to get my period. I decided to stay home from work on a Monday morning..thinking I might just need to rest. I went to the bathroom and I was spotting. I wasn't too concerned at this point..I had a SCH with my last pregnancy, where I bled heavily for 2 weeks or so when I was 11 weeks. I called the Dr anyway..he said dont worry it was prob from the placenta attaching or something. I thought I would just take a few more days off work and put my feet up. Easier said than done with a 1 year old at home..and a husband that is out of town a lot.

My spotting turned into bleeding and my brown blood turned red. I was feeling really uneasy now..but played it off in my head that it was probably another SCH. I ended up being off of work the week. I told my husband when he got home that he was on Lucas duty so I could rest because I was not feeling well. I didn't tell him everything that was going on. I went to bed early that night..the next morning I felt better..my bleeding had lessened quite a bit. But there was a nagging voice in my head to call into the Dr. She said it wouldn't hurt to go into the Urgent Care...if for nothing else to give me peace of mind.

I waited till my husband and son left to go out by myself. I got there told the desk what was going on got a bracelet and waited. They called me back after about 10 minutes. They asked about cramping and bleeding. I wasn't cramping and just spotting a little..basically trying to convince this lady that I probably had a SCH. She took me back for an Ultrasound. The tech tried my belly first..but the baby was too small to see anything..so I would have to have an internal.

The first thing she told me was that I was pregnant. Then she finally got to the baby..I was 8 weeks and 1 day at this point. I saw my beautiful baby on the screen...the tech was silent and turned the screen away from me. I knew my baby was dead. At this point there should have been a flicker of a heartbeat...and there was nothing. I went through the rest of the ultrasound trying to convince myself that I was overreacting that the baby WAS alive. I was taken back to a room where I waited and waited. A Dr came in and said "there was fetal demise, I am so sorry" I could not believe it..I was in a fog..he was talking to me but I was not listening. I was just trying to hold it together..he asked if I had questions and I said no..I just wanted him to go. A nurse then came in and gave me a printout that had MISCARRIAGE on huge black letters on the top..she too asked if I had questions and I said no. I just couldn't cry this was a small place and I am sure everyone there knew what was going on with me...so I hurried and checked out.

I went out to my car and called my sister who had 2 losses that my baby had no heartbeat...I was hoping that she could help me figure this out. She was sorry but didn't know what to say. I drove to get cigarettes..that's all I could think of doing. I got back in the car and called my Mom..she couldn't make me feel better either. I was just sobbing..I probably should not have been driving. I made it home and walked in and Casey asked me what what was wrong because I was still crying...then a moment later, in a high squeaky voice he asked is the baby ok? I just shook my head and he came to hug me. My little boy Lucas was very concerned for me as well...came up to me and just hugged me. This made me more of a wreck. When I finally calmed down I just went to bed. I was starting to get crampy and I just didn't want to deal with it. I slept most of the next day too.

When Monday came I called my Dr to get an appointment. It ripped my heart out to explain what had happened..they said they didn't need to see me. I just felt adrift. All I had was that hand out...I had no idea what was going to happen..the process no idea.

I just felt so alone. It turns out that I was not..I found the Loss board on The Bump. There were women who had and who were going through the same thing. That group got me through the rest of my miscarriage..and gave me the strength and support to open up to my family and friends about it. And some of the people I met there, I am still friends with over a year and a half later. I dont have anything from that pregnancy...I didn't have the presence of mind to ask for an ultrasound picture and I regret that every day.

Her advice for others who have experienced miscarriage/pregnancy/infant loss?
 
I would like other loss mamas to remember that their babies will always be with them.

What does she want others who have never experienced miscarriage/pregnancy/infant loss to know?
 
And those who have never had a loss just to say sorry and give support no one wants to hear it was God's plan and that type of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment