With A Side of Jess: Happy 1st Anniversary! (pic heavy)

Monday, April 16, 2012

Happy 1st Anniversary! (pic heavy)

It's hard to believe that this was one year ago:


Yep that's right, on April 16, 2011 I got married. All of my planning (aka stressing) had finally come together into one amazing day. The whole planning process was...eventful to say the least. I was on a very tight, low budget (if you'd like to see some of my budget steals and deals or hear some of the tips I have for working with a low budget let me know) but still managed (with the help of my mom and other family and friends) to pull off a pretty fantastic day that people were still talking about months later.

Let me tell you a bit about my top 5 favorite things about the day - aside from my wonderful groom.

1 - My dress!


Isn't it beautiful? The beading on the front was just gorgeous and continued down the front of the overlay. The train was super long and somehow I found a veil that went to the very end of it. I adored my dress. It was the first dress I even tried on, and I really knew the minute I had it on that it was the one - but of course I had to try on a few more. And one of the best parts about it is that it only cost $99! A local bridal shop was having a $99 sale to clear out some inventory. The original price was well over $500. Such a steal!

2 - Flowers


Our flowers were tulips, mostly because our colors were red/black/white/ivory and once I read the meaning of tulips I was hooked. The florist did an amazing job with them (I've heard tulips are hard to work with) and even incorporated key chains I had made into them.

I made the key chains because there were 2 very special people to me who were unable to physically attend the wedding and would have to do with whatever they could watch from Heaven. The snowman is a polymer clay charm I had made by someone on Etsy. It turned out amazing. It's for my husband's son from a previous relationship - I've mentioned him on here before. The other has a 4-wheeler/atv charm. It is for my cousin who passed away in an atv accident nearly 3 years before. There were originally supposed to be 2 of those keychains, 1 in my bouquet and 1 in my sister's, but my uncle passed away about 7 months before the wedding and I wanted him to have it then.

3 - The cake!

 

It was relatively unassuming and looked like a typical wedding cake, but boy when you cut it open! The top tier was cherry chip (hubby's favorite and I'm still quite sad he didn't get any on our wedding day). The middle tier was a rainbow colored vanilla flavor and the bottom tier was chocolate. It was so delicious! We cut and served all our tiers and had 2 cupcakes made for us to enjoy on our anniversary. Mine is rainbow and hubby's is cherry chip - so he'll at least get to taste it a year later.

4 - Our first dance

 

 Our song was "Spend my Life" by Eric Benet feat. Tamia. I have loved this song for a long time and it really says a lot about us. Every time I hear the song I fight tearing up a bit, especially since the wedding. It's amazing how a song can take you back to a significant moment when you heard it and you can remember all the sights, sounds and even smells of that moment. It still gives me butterflies and I remember all the details of that dance.

5 - The amazing family and friends who helped make the day wonderful and truly a day to remember

 
 
 
 
 





The day would not have been the same without all of the friends and family who came to show their love and support. Some amazing memories were made that day and they still make me smile today. From the bouquet toss where I apparently almost hit the ceiling to the garter toss where hubby's nephew was a bit enthusiastic about catching it and everything in between (including the beer-amid). The day was one to celebrate and remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment