With A Side of Jess: Weight Loss Update - June 2013

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Weight Loss Update - June 2013


If you've been following along, maybe even looking for a weight loss update, you'll probably know that it's been several months since I've done an update on my weight loss. Really, it's because I gained some of the weight back and I had been stuck bouncing around the same 5 pounds or so for those several months.

Looking back, I probably should have posted updates in those months also since weight loss isn't always sunny and about losing weight. Sometimes - most of the time? - weight loss is about struggle and it's a process. Sometimes we lose weight, gain it back and then lose even more. Sometimes we lose weight, gain it back and then have problems losing it again. Again, it's a process.

One of my co-workers is a Beach Body coach (link is to her Beach Body page) and told me about this 2 week Clean Eat Challenge she was doing with several other Beach Body coaches. I thought it might be a good way to jump start some weight loss and get myself back on track with eating right and eventually adding in some more exercise.

Boy was I right!

It wasn't always easy, but in the end it was so worth it. Not only did I rediscover so many veggies I like and had forgotten about - hello sweet potatoes and zucchini! - but I also lost a total of 7 pounds and 8 inches.

So what exactly did I eat? A lot of fish and a lot of chicken and even more veggies and fruits. I cut out pop and most processed foods. Since I don't live alone and my budget isn't unlimited, I had to pick and choose where I could cut some corners. I did buy olive oil and used that where I may have used butter or other oils in cooking, but I didn't run out and get all natural peanut butter since peanut butter is expensive and we already had regular peanut butter at home.

Here's a look at a few of the delicious meals I had for those of you who haven't already seen them on Instagram.

Brown rice, roasted sweet potato, yellow bell pepper and black beans with a huge side salad

Chicken breast, brown rice, asparagus and avocado

Lemon tilapia, steamed broccoli and sweet potato "fries"

Chocolate almond milk "ice cream"

Parmesan crusted tilapia, broccoli and raspberries

I really had a great time learning from and participating in the group. In the beginning it was a lot of trial and error. In the end it was a little less so. For me, it basically came down to finding healthier choices to make for myself.

Some swaps were easier than others. I'm still finding it a little hard to not have so much pop sometimes and I'm afraid that if I start drinking it at home again, as opposed to just with a meal at a restaurant, I'll start wanting it more. Other swaps were much easier. I loved cooking tilapia for lunch instead of having a frozen pizza or something. I felt much better after I had eaten that than if I had eaten the pizza.

If this is something you're interested in, Jen is having another Eat Clean Challenge in July!

For more information you can contact her at the email listed in the picture or check out her blog.

So in a nutshell that's what I've been doing to lose weight. What have you been doing? Are you interested in eating clean? Are you already eating clean? If so, share your favorite recipe below!

No comments:

Post a Comment