With A Side of Jess: 10 Things I Miss About Chicago

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

10 Things I Miss About Chicago

Some of you may know, but most of you probably don't, that I spent my first two years of undergrad at a university in Chicago. Coming from small town Ohio this was a HUGE step, but one I felt I was ready for. Even though I ended up transferring back home to be closer to family, I don't look back at my experiences there with regret, I actually look back and wish I'd had more!

The city was so exciting and there was always SOMETHING to do somewhere - both on campus and off. I was thinking back recently and it's been 10 years since I left (Holy cow time moves fast!) and probably 8 or so since I've been back. I miss the city dearly and there are probably way more than 10 things I miss, but these are the top things.

It's worth mentioning that these are in no particular order.


1. Shedd Aquarium - Have I ever told you how much I LOVE dolphins? Well I do! A lot! And there are dolphins at the Shedd Aquarium...Dolphins in CHICAGO!

2. Carmen's Pizza - It was a staple of my college diet! It was right by campus and the pizza was pretty good. I was sad to learn, after Googling to find a link to their website, that they've been closed for a couple of years now. So sad!

3. Clarke's Diner (the one on Belmont) - Many a memory was made here. From late night birthday celebrations to grabbing dinner before heading somewhere else - ahhh memories! It doesn't help that in recent months I've been seriously craving one of their chicken salad sandwiches and fries.

4. United Center - I ended up at the United Center several times in the couple years I was there and saw 2 or 3 Bulls games as well as 2 or 3 Blackhawks games. Yes, I generally ended up in the nosebleed section, but it was just kind of cool to be there.

5. Giordano's Pizza - Probably THE BEST pizza ever - and I had a LOT of pizza while I was in Chicago. It's so good we had it delivered to Ohio one year for my mom's birthday because she also missed the deep dish goodness! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

6. The L - It was always so convenient to get around the city. Yes, there were delays and the like, but it would have been just as bad, if not worse, trying to drive around the city. Generally I didn't take it alone, especially at night, but overall I felt decently safe.

7. Wrigley Field - I only got to see one Cubs game while I was there but it was amazing. To be honest, I can still remember most of the details - well of the sights, sounds, smells, etc. at least. It was just so awesome to be in a place so rich with history.

8. Madonna della Strada Chapel - I'm not Catholic, but I attended several masses here in my day. Something about the beauty of it, even from the outside, had such a calming effect.

9. Friends - Some of the friends I made in Chicago have moved on to other places, but others are still there. I keep saying I'd like to go back for a visit, but haven't actually made it past that yet.

10. Shopping on State Street - I know some of the stores have changed, but I always loved shopping on State Street. It wasn't as packed with tourists as Michigan Ave (aka The Magnificent Mile) so it was a lot nicer, to me at least. I loved shopping at Old Navy, Sears and just popping into random stores now and then.



No comments:

Post a Comment