With A Side of Jess: Etsy Re-opening!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Etsy Re-opening!

It's re-opening day for my Etsy store!

I've been putting quite a bit of time and energy into getting new products made and ready to be bought. My focus is going to be mostly on paper crafting things - scrapbook embellishments, cards, etc. - since that seems to be what brings me the most joy in creating.
With this re-opening also comes a fundraising event of sorts. The fundraising was not planned when I decided to re-open my shop, but since I will be in a position to raise some funds for some friends, I will do so.

Some friends of my husband found out a few weeks ago that their youngest daughter Kaylee, almost 2 years old, has cancer. She had been having gastrointestinal issues for most of her short life and a routine CT scan revealed a hard, softball sized tumor in her abdomen.

She had a bone marrow test, biopsy of the tumor and a bone scan, which revealed that she has Stage 3 Neuroblastoma.

She started on chemo during the last week of July and had 1 round of 4 days. She was hospitalized for her chemo treatment. During the first round of treatment they also found out that her cancer is unfavorable for the chemo regimen she was on, which raises from intermediate to high risk protocol. This means that she will need an even stronger dose of chemo, radiation, stem cell transplants and antibody therapy. The stem cell transplants will need to be done at a hospital 2 hours away.

She will be home for 2 weeks before returning to the hospital for 5 straight days of chemo every 3 weeks for 6 months. In March, 2012 they will be beginning the stem cell transplants and will need to spend at least 3 months away from home.

The father had just been laid off work and the mother had just gotten a job that starts with the new school year when they got the devastating news. That said, they are in financial hardship and I feel compelled to help in any way I can.

I have decided that 10% of everything I sell on Etsy (shipping not included) in the month of August will go to them. That means that for every package of non-glittered paper flowers you buy, $0.33 will be donated to Kaylee and for every package of glittered paper flowers you buy, $0.35 will be donated to Kaylee. It may not seem like much, but it will add up and I feel confident that it will help them.

Thank you and feel free to e-mail or convo me on Etsy if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment