With A Side of Jess: Hope Flower - Mojo Monday 253

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hope Flower - Mojo Monday 253

This week's sketch looks like this:




I don't know if it's all the layers or the fact that all the layers are different shapes and angles, but this week's sketch really intrigued me. I couldn't wait to get started making a card. However, life sometimes intervenes and I just didn't have time to work on something until yesterday.

Here's what I did with that sketch:



I've had that patterned paper laying around my stash for years now, YEARS!, and I keep going back to it, wanting to use it and not quite sure how to make it work in something. That said, I'll be honest and say that I started this card in a not very traditional way: I started with the patterned paper and had no real idea where I wanted things to go after that.

I had really hoped I had enough of an orange or yellow that would compliment the colors in the pattern to use for the background, but I didn't and really I think that worked out for the better. I chose a burnt sort of brown color and I think that helps tone down the pattern, which could be very loud if not used in the right way.



I had a great blue ribbon that matches the blue accents in the patterned paper fairly well. I think having it along the right side helps to balance all the colors and makes the blue in the pattern pop a bit more. I also like that the ribbon has some texture in the little loops on the sides. It sort of mimics the loops and bits of blue in the pattern without going overboard.


One thing I was excited to try was embossing some glitter on the patterned paper. I thought it would add a little more interest without making the pattern too overbearing. I think in the picture above you can see the glitter (and for some reason I keep wanting to call it glittler, don't ask, long week).



Now on to another favorite part of this card: the flower. I recently got the CTMH Art Philosophy cartridge and on it are six different types of flowers. These are lovely! I chose a great orange color that compliments the orange in the patterned paper and created a rose shaped flower. The petal was some other sort of shape that I manipulated by slanting and pulling in Cricut Craft Room to make a leaf shape I was happy with.



A yellow gem popped in the middle and a simple sentiment of "Hope" stamped on the leaf completed the card.

No comments:

Post a Comment