With A Side of Jess: First thoughts/impressions - UPDATED - Birchbox August 2012

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

First thoughts/impressions - UPDATED - Birchbox August 2012



This month's theme is Beauty School. The info paper included in the box promises to "refill your beauty supply kit with must-try essentials and new products that will take you through the fall." Apparently the products featured in August's boxes are supposed to be mostly basics (with a Birchbox twist of course) with a few new items that will get your fall beauty routine started.

Before I go any further, if you aren't quite sure what Birchbox is or you're new to sample subscription services, you can get more info here or read my "What is Birchbox" post here.

When I saw the sneak peek they posted on YouTube a few weeks ago I wasn't that impressed or excited about the products they were featuring. I can't really put a finger on why I was so unimpressed other than none of the products got me excited. I understand that not every month will be a hit and that there will be some misses. Before I even received my shipping notice, I kind of guessed this month would be a miss for me.

So this is what I received and my initial thoughts on the products. I will have more detailed, actual reviews coming after I've had sufficient time to try the products.

Schick Hydro Silk Razor - Full size $9.99 - This is a full size sample

I usually use disposable razors, so I was kind of excited to see this in my box. It's been ages since I've used a refillable razor. In general, I feel that I'm not a model of any sort and really no one is looking at the state of my legs on a daily basis aside from myself so I don't need a fancy razor to get the job done. This will be a nice treat for my legs, though it may be a while before I get to try it since I just tried out some wax strips last week.

Miss Jessie's® Original Crème de la Crème Conditioner - Full size $16 for 12 oz. - Sample $1.33 for 1 oz.

This looks like it has the potential to be a great product for me. My hair is fine and I have a lot of it. This usually leads to tangles and the occasional snarled mess. The info sheet promises this is a detangling formula and "works to soften and hydrate all types of hair." I can't wait to try this out.

Miss Jessie's® Original Curly Meringue  - Full size $22 for 8 oz. - Sample $5.50 for 2 oz.

The info booklet promises this will give me "bouncy, smooth curls that stay frizz-free all day." This would be EXTREMELY beneficial...if I had curly hair. Birchbox fail. I even went back through my profile and nowhere did I mention having curly hair. I have slightly wavy hair, but it's by no means curly. I think I might still try this out just to see if it helps define my waves a bit more. See, my hair is a bit finicky and is wavy/a smidge curly when it's wet and nearly stick straight when dry. I would love to keep more of the wave when it's dry.

Sabon® Foot Cream - Full size $16 for 12.8 oz. - Sample $1.31 for 1.05 oz.

If this works it should make my husband very happy. He hates my feet (as do I) because they're always so rough and dry. I was told  years ago that my feet don't sweat properly and that's why they're almost always rough, cracking and peeling. I need a great foot cream to bring some moisture back to them. According to the info booklet, it's a "refreshing aloe-based lotion," which sounds very nice right about now. 

Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy La Fleur - Full size $70 for 2.5 oz. - Sample $1.40 for 0.05 oz.

This may be love at first sniff. Have you read my review of the Pink Chiffon scented Bath & Body Works shower gel? On first sniff, this smells pretty darn close to that! It smells to me like it has similar notes - a sweet with a floral. The info booklet says it's a "blend of wild berries, mandarin and waterlily." I'm excited to actually wear this and see how it works with my chemistry. Hopefully it works well!

TALIKA Lipocils Expert - Full size $55 for 10 ml - Sample $11 for 2 ml

Just on initial impressions, this doesn't look like a product I'll be using, which is a shame considering it's such a great value sample. The info booklet describes it as a "plant-derived lash serum" and promises it "spurs growth without any side effects." First, my lashes do not need any help. I don't even have to curl them to get them to look nice with mascara - they're long, naturally curled and fairly thick all on their own. Second, the need to mention side effects on the info card is reason enough for me to be wary.

Miss Jessie's® Original Super Slip Sudsy Shampoo - Full size $14 for 8 oz. - Sample not included

This sample is listed in my box section of the Birchbox website as though it should be in my box. However, it was not there and not listed on the info booklet. I have e-mailed Birchbox to see if/where the error is. As the sample was not included in my box, it has not been included in the total below. I will update this post when I hear back from Birchbox.

UPDATE (8/15/12): Birchbox customer service got back to me today and said that a sample of the Miss Jessie's shampoo would be on its way to me as soon as they get their inventory counts in. 
 
Box total: $30.54

No comments:

Post a Comment