With A Side of Jess: What's in My July 2012 Birchbox

Saturday, July 21, 2012

What's in My July 2012 Birchbox

After seeing the preview video about this month's Birchbox, I was pretty excited (again!). It looked like there were going to be some great new products for me to try. Needless to say, I wasn't very disappointed.

Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss in Wind - Full size = $20 - Trial size = $5.71 value



I'm not sure the camera is picking up the true color of the gloss. It seems to me that the picture looks a bit more pink than it actually is. To me, the shade is much, much more nude. I'll be honest, I was actually a little scared of this since it's more of a nude color. I have yet to find a perfect nude shade that doesn't make my lips look like death. I should say had yet to find. I love this color. It goes on a peachy nude and looks great. I put a small swatch up there because I feel the swatch captures a more true color.

blinc Mascara - Full size = $26 - Trial size = $17.46 value



I've never heard of this brand before now, but I love a good mascara. I haven't tried this one yet and probably won't for a while. I want to use up more of the 2 tubes I already have open before adding another to the "open" pile. The package says it's water resistant yet comes off with some water and gentle pressure. I have another mascara like that and I love it. Hopefully this will become another favorite as well.

Tea Forté® minteas - 3 pack - Full size = $9.95 - Trial size = $3.32 value



I'd seen these pop up in several other boxes so I was very excited to see them in mine. However, that's about where the excitement stopped. I had hoped to get the cocoa/chocoalte ones, but was initallyh ok with getting the Lime Mojito flavor instead. I quickly learned that I really dislike this flavor. I've never had a mojito and if these mints are anything like the real thing, I don't want to either. I'm not even sure I can explain why I dislike this flavor, except that I don't taste any mint at all, just a citrus/tea flavor. I don't know that I'd really want to throw mint into that mix though.

Oscar de la Renta live in love - Full size = $78 - Trial size = $78 - Trial size = $1.56 value


I know that a lot of people don't like getting these types of perfume samples, but I was happy to get one this month. I'd been thinking about starting to wear perfume again and thought this might be a great start. Again, that's about where the excitement ended. The info card says that there are "notes of hyacinth and orchid over a rich base of sandalwood and cedar." I think that's why I don't like it - the sandalwood and cedar. I'm not at all saying it's a bad scent, just that it's not my scent. It reminds me of a sweet old lady's house - again, the sandalwood and cedar. So it's a pleasant scent, just not one I want to wear on my body.

Manna Kadar Cosmetics sheer glo shimmer lotion - Full size = 29 - Trial size = $0.29 value



I was quite disappointed in the size of this sample, mostly in compared to the full size product and not really in relation to how much is actually in the tube. I swatched a bit on my hand the day I received the sample and even after repeated hand washings and daily tasks there was still a bit of shimmer on my hand until I took a shower. Aside from that I haven't really tried this out yet, but I'm excited to.

Birchbox Exclusive Earbuds - Not currently for sale on Birchbox, but the cheapest earbuds run about $10 at Wal-Mart



I was so glad I got the pink/bllue ear buds and they couldn't have come at a better time. My regular ear buds decided to quit working on the right side after over 2 years of use (pretty good for ear bud standards!).

Total box value: $38.34 including the $10 estimated for the ear buds


No comments:

Post a Comment