With A Side of Jess: Junkin' for Gems - Week 2

Monday, July 9, 2012

Junkin' for Gems - Week 2

I was very excited that my mom had last week off work. In case you hadn't already caught on, she's usually my partner in crime for garage sales. Sometimes my dad or sister likes to tag along and my husband won't go at all, so it's usually just us girls.

Anyhow, her having last week off work meant we could go on Friday instead of waiting until Saturday, which is a good thing. Sometimes I feel like we miss some of the good stuff when we have to wait until Saturday. I know it's true and it usually doesn't bother me since I can find some pretty decent stuff anyhow.

We had four garage sales on our list and managed to hit all of them in about two hours, which includes about 30 - 40 minutes of travel time to/between them all.

At the first, I didn't get anything for myself, but we got a few things for my dad. They did have a storage thing, but it was shelves and I'm really looking more for plastic totes and drawers, so I passed.

I forget if there was anything specific that drew us to the second one, other than it was on the way to the third. We were able to get a few wood things for my dad to craft with and I got two books - one for me and one for the kiddos at the nursery.

 $0.25

$0.25

The third one promised scrapbook supplies, which I was beyond excited for. If I'd had more money on me I would have bought all of it! However, I was able to get quite a few things that I think were good for the price and I'll get some use out of.

 $2
 
 
 $0.50

 $3

 $3

The fourth and final one promised fabric and lots of it. I've got a specific project in mind for some fabric so I wanted to check that out for sure. For those of you interested in the project, I'll put a little bit of it at the end.

$1
I don't think $10 was too shabby for all I got. Also as a bonus I got the containers that some of my dad's things were in. Score!

So a bit about this project. Sadly, a friend of mine from a miscarriage/pregnancy loss support group lost twin girls at 19 weeks. She is trying to organize a blanket drive of sorts to collect all sizes of baby blankets from the very, very premature to full term. She's encouraging friends and family to either make blankets on their own or donate supplies or money so that others can make them. Her hope is to donate these blankets to a hospital near her (either the one the girls were delivered at or another one, I forget exactly at the moment) on/around what should have been their due date.

As you know if you've poked around here or followed me on Twitter for any length of time, while I don't know her exact pain (does anyone really know the exact pain of another?), I do understand the heartbreak of losing a pregnancy. That alone has made me want to get involved and really, for $1 for some cute baby material I couldn't go wrong. Now I just have to make nice with the sewing machine.

Did you go Junkin' for Gems this weekend? Is there anything you can cross off your list? Feel free to comment about your finds and link to your post about your finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment