With A Side of Jess: Junkin' for Gems - Week 1

Monday, May 14, 2012

Junkin' for Gems - Week 1

This past Saturday my mom and I headed out for a few hours of garage sales before we had to be at a Mother/Daughter Tea for Mother's Day. Newspaper in hand, we'd marked off 3 or 4 we really wanted to stop at for something that caught our eye in the paper. Of course we were also open to checking out things that weren't advertised and/or part of our initial plan.

A quick drive by of the first one on our list showed not much. There was one table inside a garage and it didn't look to be full of much of anything. Perhaps all of the good stuff had already been sold or maybe they hadn't started with much anyhow. Whatever the case, we kept on a drivin'.

The second one on our list was quite a bit more fruitful. They had advertised Saturday as being 1/2 off day! I was able to score all of these finds for less than $1!

 $0.50

$0.05

And then it was on to the next!

We met a super cute older guy who was really into antiques. He had a bowl like one my mom has that was passed down from my grandma. He was able to give her a little history of the bowl, as well as tell her which other ones went with the set - she knew there had been at least one other in the set. We also found out that the bowl we use for gravy is actually the smallest bowl in the set - we didn't even know they went together!

Moving on. I was able to get this score at his sale.

$5


It's not as good as the one I currently have, but it has some functions that my current one does not. It'll make a great back up in case anything goes wrong with the one I have and it may become my dedicated filming camera. And how can you go wrong for $5?!  (I know it says $15 but he had it on a "everything on this table $5" table and said to disregard any price on an item unless it was lower than the posted price for that table.)

Our final stop was unplanned because we saw a nifty sign and a bunch of cars parked. We had also just decided to skip our last stop because it was too far away for us to be able to make it to the tea on time (say that 3 times fast!).

Apparently 4 or 5 families had decided to clean house and have a garage sale in order to be more green and eco-friendly. Hey it works for me! I was able to score some scrapbooking/crafting storage and a few things I'll use for making Christmas cards this year for less than $5!

 $0.50

 $2

$0.50

In total I spent less than $10 on all of this great stuff. I'm excited to get the drawers cleaned up so I can start putting stuff in them and hopefully clean up my mess of a craft space a little bit.

Did you go Junkin' for Gems this weekend? Is there anything you can cross off your list? Feel free to comment about your finds and link to your post about your finds.


No comments:

Post a Comment