With A Side of Jess: August 2012 Hits & Misses - Beauty, Craft, Food and Lifestyle Favorites

Saturday, September 1, 2012

August 2012 Hits & Misses - Beauty, Craft, Food and Lifestyle Favorites

If you're interested in my July favorites, check it out here.

Hits:
Food:
Ice water - Yep, it's still on my favorites list. It's really the best way I've found to make sure I drink more water. I hate warm or even room temp water and I find the faucet never gets it quite cold enough. The one problem I encountered this month was I remembered plastic breaks when it gets too cold sometimes. I ended up cracking one of the cups - thankfully the water was all frozen before it broke - in the freezer. I may be considering/looking into these frosty freezer mugs for the future.

Garden fresh tomatoes - I have always loved tomatoes fresh from the garden and this year it's no different. A fresh, summer tomato tastes so much different from your ordinary grocery store tomato in February. Mostly, they actually have a taste. I've been able to get quite a few cherry tomatoes from my plant, but the regular, larger tomatoes are having a rough time turning red apparently as they're all still green.

Life:

Baby bunnies - We had baby bunnies taking up residence in our yard for a few weeks and it was pretty fun. I was so happy we got to see them when they came out of their nest. They were too cute! There are several posts, some with videos if you're interested in seeing more about them.

Beauty:

Bath & Body Works Pink Chiffon Shea Infused Shower Gel - If you happened to catch my Latina VoxBox posts, you'll know that's how I ended up with this body wash. I love it and my bottle is already half or so gone, which makes me sad. I love the sweet, floral scent and the fact that the scent lingers on my skin for several hours after my shower. If you want to read my full review, you can find it here.

Viva La Juicy La Fleur - This was my favorite product from August's Birchbox. The scent reminds me of the above mentioned Pink Chiffon by Bath and Body Works. It's very sweet and floral and I love the way it smells. It's just really too bad that a full size is so expensive.

NYC Liquid Lip Shine in Nude York City - Yet another product from the Latina VoxBox! It's so hard for me to find nude shades of anything that don't make me look like death warmed over, but this is a great shade. It ends up blending into my natural lip color instead of trying to mask or mute it.


Craft:
CTMH Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge - If you caught my crafty post at the beginning of the month, you'll know that I won this cartridge in a giveaway on a blog. It's amazing! There's so much you can do with it and so many different images to play with. I've made a few things using the images and/or stamps and still haven't seen everything it can do.

Misses:
Food:
Rye bread - My aunt gave us a loaf of rye bread - the kind from a bakery, not the kind you buy off the shelf at a grocery store - and I realized I hate it. There were caraway seeds all over the top and the taste of them was just gross. I feel like I've had rye bread before, possibly at Panera, and it wasn't too bad. This, however, still makes me cringe when I think about it. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Life:
C25k - There's nothing wrong with the program itself and I'm sure it works for some (maybe even many) people. It just didn't work for me. I tried to start it and made it through half of Day 1 twice before I gave it up. I think I'm just not a runner. I like/don't mind walking, but ask me to run, on a treadmill, in my dark bedroom? Forget it. I may give this another shot in September so any tips anyone may have would be welcome.

Beauty:
Most of August's Birchbox - I don't like when products are targeted to one specific hair or skin type that I didn't say I have in my profile. I do not have curly hair. It's a little wavy, but curly? Nope. There goes 2 of the samples - 1 of which was a good sized sample! I also don't have any problems with the color, length or curl of my lashes. There goes another product. Half of the box ended up being things I won't use.

Craft:
I didn't craft enough in August to find anything I dislike very much.

Products mentioned in this post:


Disclaimer: I received some these products complimentary for testing purposes from Influenster.

No comments:

Post a Comment