With A Side of Jess: Weight Loss Challenge Pt. 2 - Food - Foodie Friday

Friday, March 23, 2012

Weight Loss Challenge Pt. 2 - Food - Foodie Friday

This is the second in a two part series about a weight loss challenge I've become involved with through a group I'm part of online. Click here for Part 1 - Exercise.

I've been keeping track of the foods I eat by and exercise I do using the MyFitnessPal app on my phone. It is amazing! I really cannot say enough good things about it, especially the phone app. It even gives you the option of scanning the UPC of whatever you're about to eat and up pops the nutrition info! Amazing!

I have still been eating the same stuff and I know that some of it isn't the best for you (but who can really resist a McDonald's Filet-o-Fish during Lent??). I've just been trying to eat less overall. I want a candy bar? Yep I'll eat it, but not the king size, or maybe even not the whole candy bar. Burger King sounds delicious? I'll have a smaller sandwich and not a big one (ie. Whopper Jr. v. Whopper) and probably share half or more of my friends with my husband.

So far it's been working, but slow going. After looking back I realized we started February 8 and just had our week 7 weigh in on 3/21. I'm down 5 pounds. I started off strong losing 2 pounds in the first week and 3 in the second. Then I gained a pound for two weeks in a row. I rebounded nicely and I'm now down a total of 5.2 pounds.

Here's a typical day in for me (calorie goal of 1,570):

Breakfast
2 eggs scrambled in 1/2 Tbs. margarine
1 flour tortilla
1/8 c. shredded cheese (really just a sprinkling)
1 chewable vitamin (I use Centrum)
1 bottle of water
(Sometimes I add some fruit like bananas, strawberries or orange juice)

Total calories: About 310 + whatever fruit for the day

Lunch
Leftovers from the night before
or
Frozen pizza
Pop (or soda as some may call it) or water if I haven't finished my water from breakfast

Total calories: Averages about 600

Dinner
This varies a lot since I'm not the only one I cook for at this meal.

Total calories: Averages 500

Snacks
Fruit
Philadelphia Indulgence (find my review of it here)
Candy
Cake

Total calories: Generally less than 200 of my calories each day comes from snacking

If you're adding that up, you might think I go over my calorie allotment every day, but I don't.
It's also important to note that my recommended calorie consumption is based on food alone and does not take into account any exercise. If I ate at/under 1,570 calories each day, I would lose about 1.5 pounds a week. When I exercise, I get to eat more. If I don't eat all of the calories I burned in exercise, I have an overage that can be a bit of a pad for days I don't work out as much or special treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment