With A Side of Jess: October is for more than just breast cancer

Sunday, October 9, 2011

October is for more than just breast cancer

October has always been a special month for me since I was born in October, 1982. Now that I'm older, wiser (hopefully) and have had more worldly experiences, October has taken on an additional, equally special, meaning.

October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month and will forever hold a special place in my heart as such.


One out of every four women (that's 25% for you non-math people) will experience the loss of a baby at some point in her life. It's such a common occurrence, yet people rarely want to talk about it. Because the topic has become so taboo, these women, and their family members, are left to grieve alone.

I am one in four.

I had my first miscarriage, a natural miscarriage, in December 2008 and it forever changed my life - sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. My second loss, an ectopic pregnancy, followed in December 2009. It too forever changed me and due to the complications I faced, has made me stronger and even more aware of just how precious each day is.

In honor of this special month, I have created a treasury on Etsy of various items I have found that acknowledge the great losses those who have experienced the loss of a baby have felt. Please take a moment to check things out and support the artists who may bring a moment of peace to those who are grieving such a great loss.

(Click on the image above to be taken to the treasury)

No comments:

Post a Comment