With A Side of Jess: Foodie Friday - Pork Roast

Friday, October 21, 2011

Foodie Friday - Pork Roast

This week I bring you my recipe for pork roast. I started cooking it several years ago (5 or so at least) and I'm not quite sure how I came up with it. I think I was attempting to come up with some sort of BBQ sauce to go with the pork roast to make it BBQ pork sandwich style, but that kind of flopped and I ended up with this instead.

Also, I was going to take a picture of how it turned out all nice on a plate and stuff, but we were so hungry I don't think it lasted 2 minutes just sitting there.





So here goes the recipe.

Ingredients

Pork Roast - the one I used was about 3 lbs.
1 Tbs. Honey
1 Apple - Peeled and chopped
1/2 c. Applesauce
1/2 c. Apple Juice or Cider OR 1/2 c. Water
1 tsp. Garlic - minced finely or grated
1 c. Brown Sugar - lightly packed
Salt & Pepper to Taste

Directions

1. Salt and pepper pork roast on all sides before putting into a pan heated over medium heat.



2. Brown on all sides for just a few minutes. You aren't trying to cook it now, just brown it.






3. Put browned pork roast in a roaster (or oven) at 300 degrees. If you're using a regular oven, now would be the time to preheat it while you work on the sauce.

 

4. Add chopped apple and applesauce to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.


5. Add brown sugar, honey, apple juice/cider or water and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes or so. You want the brown sugar to melt and get bubbly, but not start turning to caramel.

 
 
 

6. Pour apple mixture over pork roast. If using a roaster, just cover and cook for at least an hour and a half, or until done and tender, almost falling apart. If using a regular oven, cover the pan you put the roast in with foil before putting into the oven for at least an hour and a half, or until done and tender, almost falling apart.

 

7. If you don't want the chunks of apple in your sauce you can mash them up a bit with a potato masher or fork or even use a blender before serving. It's a really sweet, sticky sauce that goes well over the cooked meat and I like it on mashed potatoes too.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment